Sunday, December 31, 2023

Still trying to get over the pond


I'm still trying to get my ancestors 'over the pond'.  I know the town in the Czech Republic for the Lederers but I generally leave that branch to the experts.  And I know the Zunder/Rosenthal branch pretty well in Bavaria.  These are all in the 1840s.  But everything else is just too much a mystery.  There was a time when I was in Salt Lake City at the LDS library (quite a few years ago) where I was really trying to get Paul Weil (around 1860)  I just had an apocryphal story about his grandfather "the chief rabbi of Berlin"  I had a ship manifest which maybe kinda worked until the volunteer who was working with me finally said "I don't think this is your guy."  Dang.

It's especially bad on my father's side.  Little hints but nothing really.  Here is my great grandparent's grave stone (from find-a-grave) gravesite in Rochester, NY.  Where did they come from?  The census records just say Russia or Poland.  I know of a facebook group with people who translate headstones.  But this quality is so bad, I'm almost embarrassed to post it.  I don't have any good way to get a clearer image.

Ideas welcomed!



No comments: