Friday, December 4, 2020

1924 Seder picture


 This picture was sent to me from a shoestring relative.  Seder at my great grandfather Edward Cohen's house.  I can identify my grandparents Harold & Betty Ginsburgh, age 24.  At the back in the middle.  Betty was the third daughter.  Others are her sisters and brothers in law and her brothers.  Harold and Betty were married in 1923 and their oldest child Allen (my father) was not born until 1926.

I see, wine, matzas, flowers and other items on the table including Elijah's cup.  No formal seder plate.  

I think the photo was taken by a professional photographer.  The white writing (not the diagonal) says "Mr. & Mrs. Edward Cohen & Family, Passover Seder, April 18, 1924.  Didn't notice it until I enlarged the picture.  

Affluence and comfort, in effect.



No comments: