Sunday, March 23, 2014

Photoessay #2882 - Real softball this time

Today, I went to the Washington/UCLA softball game.

Because I'm interested.

Because the sun was out.

Because I was halfway there anyway at a team meeting.

Because I could.

Plus I can get in for free as a student.

Going is not so much fun any more because I almost always am going by myself; it's cold; I have to figure out the parking.  And I don't know anybody any more.

This picture was actually taken almost five years ago, but you get the idea.

Both teams are ranked in the top 5 in the country (along with Oregon).  But you would not know that from the first inning.  After the Ducks won 8-7 yesterday against Utah.  And I finally gave up on ASU/Stanford last night in extra innings for a 15-15 tie.  In this game UCLA's Carda blasted the 2nd pitch over the outfield fence.  But they only(?) scored two runs.  Then in the bottom of the first, UCLA had an inning from hell and UW scored *9* runs.

I thought to myself, can anybody in the Pac 12 pitch???  Where are the usual 1-0 games where the first team makes the tiniest mistake loses?

UW scored one extra run and mercied UCLA.

My personal favorite was in that first inning...UW has the bases loaded and their star big power hitter up to bat.  Caitlyn Inglesby.  And she bunts the ball.  Perfectly.  UCLA was not ready for that.

No comments: