Sunday, February 2, 2014

Photoessay #2856 - Aschaffenburg

I would recommend Werner Hirsch's account of his 'return' trip to Aschafenburg in Bavaria.  He was born there in 1935; Kristalnacht followed in 1938.  Not sure when he left with his family.  The town invited back all of the Jews who lived in Aschafenburg back.  They had a nice week long program for them.  Werner narrates his 20 minute account of photos about the week.

I dunno, all German media about the Jews; even when trying to make amends always has this weird off tilt to me.  Can't quite put my finger on it.

I know Werner Hiesch, he works with the Jewish Historical Society of Greater New Haven.  He helped me on my trips to New Haven.  I will write him right after this and let him know about my talk in April and how much I enjoyed his account.  He's helped me with translations and interpretations.

The Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl this evening.  I watched it!  Even though our new TV antenna doesn't always work,  Much celebrating around here about their pro football team here this last month.  As a friend of mine pointed out, "The fair weather fans? The team members are the biggest fair weather fans, any one of them could be gone from the Seahawks tomorrow."

Yeah, pro sports.

No comments: