Monday, February 3, 2014

Photoessay #2857 - Search for an orange grove

One thing I really want to do on our upcoming trip to the San Gabriel Valley is to walk in an orange grove.  I know they're 'all gone'.  Even looking at that recent picture of my parent's back yard shows an orange tree that already looks very old.

Likely the historical society people can tell us.

So far, from afar, the only promising orange grove I've found is on the grounds of Mission San Gabriel, maybe five miles or so from our weekend headquarters.  Apparently a tree expert discovered an old orange tree nearby and determined that it was related genetically to the original orange trees at the mission.  So they have established some new trees which are part of the gardens.

But I don't know how many trees.  Trying to find out.  This actually looks like our best bet.

Our theme is gardens and maybe get a bit warmed up.  Temps here in the 30s for this week.

No comments: