Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Photoessay #2585 - Glendora Views

I took these two pictures at our hotel in Glendora on old Route 66 and looking across the street.

Glendora, a town from the later 19th century, is now a part of urbanized towns together in the San Gabriel Valley.  My parents moved there in 1954, bought their first house.  But by 1957, they were gone, moving up to Aerojet's new 'plant' outside of Sacramento.  My father always called the place he worked "the plant".

The development from the new postwar industry doomed the citrus groves that filled the valley.  One reason I went down was to find some orange trees.  Which I did and posted.

I liked Glendora a lot more than I expected.  It had a cute downtown shopping district.  The neighborhoods are likely not very changed from the 1950s.  I know that my parent's house looks much the same from the front.  We stopped at the Glendora Historical Society.  Lent them some pictures that I do want back.  They told us where to find some orange groves which turned out to belong to the Glendora Preservation folks.  Warm fine weather.

The towns on the north part of the valley back up right against the mountains.

What's not to like.  This area was not depressed economically.  But not tourist oriented.  No bed and breakfast to be found.  Probably couldn't find a short term rental.  But I thought it would be nice maybe to spend a week or two in the winter.  Dennis declared it boring.  "You just like it because the sun is out," he told me.

Yeah.  Yeah.  Right.  That's exactly why I like it.

On the news front, my friend Gin and I went downtown to Nordstroms and bought a new outfit for my talk in Connecticut.  Thanks Gin!



No comments: