Thursday, February 13, 2014

Photoessay #2586 - SoCal Oranges

One reason I went to Southern California was to find some orange trees. To bring back a little of the citrus culture that originally occupied the San Gabriel Valley.

And the Southwest Airlines that we needed to use before the end of February.

I knew there were not so many any more.  And earlier I did post some orange tree pictures. 

We ended up at Heritage Park on a tip and ran into the Glendora Preservation folks who had a kind of visiting day going with not too many visitors.  They had a small grove of citrus trees; donated by local nurserymen.  They showed us all around.

They encouraged to pick the oranges.  I can't believe the amount of citrus that goes to waste down there.  We were there before the orange blossoms.

So I did.  The picture shows my harvest back at the hotel room.  Generally the oranges are pretty tart and look very much what you buy in the store.

Just picked off the tree though!

No comments: