Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Photoessay #2584 - My third cousin Jon!

I had another orange post in mind today.  Maybe I will do it tomorrow.

And I know that I missed yesterday.  But we went up into the mountains then made our way to the Ontario airport and got home many hours later very late.

But I would like to introduce my third cousin Jon T who I was delighted to meet.  I'm pretty pleased with how the pictures came out.  We didn't take too many so I was not sure.  But we had a great time.  We met at the Getty in LA which is a trip in conspicuous all by itself.  Even if it's free admission; you have to pay $15 to park.  But they have a more fancy building and garden and art than ANYBODY.  To say nothing of the view of LA.

I like to tell the story of how people in New Haven mention him.  "Jon, he went to CalifFORnia and I think he's in the MOVIES."  And sure enough he was.  We were having a great time; his wife was taking care of business in Virginia; he offered to take us out to dinner, which we accepted.  We went to this great mexican place in Santa Monica.  Now I love our local Tacqueria Raza people and their mole.  But this place had all kinds of different moles.  I had the dark and it was sweeter and tasted of chocolate.

We talked about the relatives who he's known since he was young and I've just met.  Including his friend Brendan Zunder who recently passed away.  I was sorry to be the one to give him the news some months ago.  Nobody had let him know.

But the whole experience, the Getty, the restaurant in Santa Monica, Jon, the movie talk, even bumbling around on the Socal freeways ... So LA!

No comments: