Thursday, December 19, 2013

Photoessay #2821 - American Judaism



I'm reading "American Judaism" by Jonathan Sarna.  I will later disclose why I'm reading this particular book at this particular time.  A fallout from this reading this book was his discussion of the symbols, mogen david (star of david) and the ten commandments in the form of a stone tablet.  These seem, to me, as iconic Jewish symbols.  Like the Christians had the cross and Jews had the star.  But the use of these, especially in America, are fairly recent.  He has a picture of the earliest use, at a Baltimore synagogue built in 1845 openly using these symbols to mark their building as Jewish.  Prior, those that constructed synagogues in America, did not mark their buildings.  On purpose.  Carrying the fear and trepidation forward.

I always marvel when something that I think is universal or 'always there' or 'how it is' really might be fairly recent, not ancient.  Or, in the case of Hanukah, manufactured.

In my retirement, I play at being an academic.  Maybe taking a page from my father though I've taken it farther.  I heard from 'my' editor that Jonathan Sarna had visited her campus at Fairfield University, he had read my article (my heart pounds) and pointed out that many 19th century community had included or elected Jewish members on their school boards as a 'buffer'.  And Maier Zunder had played that role in New Haven.  He knows about New Haven, he did edit one of the 'Jews in New Haven' volumes.  Kind of dismissive (ah, the fate of the false unqualified academic).  But I think that Zunder's participation with the German-American association sets him apart.  She mentioned his book "American Judaism."  The implication is that if I want to start a conversation, I better have read this book.  So that's what I'm doing this week.  I'm half way through, well-written though I only read a few pages at the time.  Did I mention that I love love love the UW library?).  It seems that I really might have an opportunity to present at the Spring Meeting (shades of terror).

My class for next quarter? "Jewish Women in America".  No lie.

No comments: