Friday, June 22, 2012

Photoessay #2086 - Postcards

This book containing an old postcard collection surfaced at my house recently.  Where did it come from and, more importantly, where has it been all this time?  The postcards, postmarked 1905-1910 were received by both my maternal grandmother and grandfather as children.  Most show scenes from Connecticut or from places relatives visited (the one in the upper left comes from Cuba).  They were sent by aunts and uncles, parents, grandparents. 

I think I might have taken this book from my mother in 1974 promising I would 'do something' with it.  And we did.  We used these postcards for a special collage (actually Dennis, Charl and I worked on it) which we had framed and gave them for their 25th wedding anniversary.

Hey, waida minute, we just celebrated our 36th anniversary.  Where's MY collage.  Never mind.

Mary Ann has the collage now.  She asked for it specially when we were breaking the house down.

I don't have a picture of it.  Maybe I do, I'll look.  It was a nice piece of work.

But I'm getting that urge to do something with these.  They're a great source of addresses of where these children were living.  At least half of them are to addresses in the beach community of West Haven.  These affluent families rented or owned 'beach houses' on Long Island Sound close to New Haven.

Also very interesting who wrote to them.  These uncles and aunts, who were just entries on my family tree wrote little notes.

I think it could make a great survey of who wrote, their relation and the pictures on these postcards.  Some kind of writing project.  It could happen.  Above is a page from the album.  Below is a page of some pictures of my maternal grandparents, Irwin Samuel and Regina Zunder Weil Baumann.

No comments: