Friday, July 8, 2011

Photoessay #1444 - New photo class



I would hate to tell you how many hours I spent generating these two pictures. And it didn't work very well but it's something!

Last night was my first digital photography 1 class at Edmonds Community College. Looks like it's going to be fun. 8 women in class. I asked the instructor if my brother could come next week and she said ok. She dropped a ton of information on us. That's similar to what Theo did. Introduce a lot of information all at once and then spend the class using it.

Turns out that I had the weeniest camera there. Everybody else had a Single Lens Reflex (which I finally learned what that meant). Mine is a point and shoot with a Manual Mode. The Manual Mode is what's most important. My camera also has less aperture and exposure values than the SLR cameras.

I've ignored the fact for many years that varying the aperture, exposure time and ISO (used to be ASA) can make a huge difference in the quality of the photo. Your goal is to not being boring.

She suggested using water as something to demonstrate varying exposures. Short exposures should give you droplets where a longer exposure should give you a stream.

So I decided to do that with a sprinkler in my back yard. Normally I would not use a sprinkler at all on the backyard grass. But Susanna has made an effort to reseed the complete mud that I developed in the fall and winter.

Sometimes the sun was out, sometimes not.

My idea is that the first picture would have a very short exposure time so the water would appear as droplets f8 1/1000 iso 3200

The second shot would have a much longer exposure which should show streams of water. f6.3 1/40 iso 160

Now, it kind of shows what I was trying to do. It's just my first week. Squint your eyes or something. I'm trying to use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of this.

No comments: