Friday, May 6, 2011

Photoessay #1283 - Applesauce




I've been on a bit of an applesauce making jag. Doesn't that happen usually in the fall, not the spring? Anyway, it has sounded good to me. I started out with some old apples sitting around here that clearly were past their prime. Now, I'm buying apples just TO make applesauce. Which probably doesn't make fiscal sense.

I use a foley food mill which belonged to my grandmother Regina (Nanny to me). In the mid 1970s, my mother moved my grandmother out to Southern California (where they lived at the time) with the idea that my grandmother could have her own apartment. But she had lived her whole life in New Haven, she had other women that she had talked to daily for her entire life. And she just couldn't move. Her health also failed and she ended back in New Haven in the Masonic Home (don't know the proper name). At that time, I was graduating from college so I inherited a lot of her basic cooking utensils.

So I steam up the apples (doesn't take too long) and put them through the mill, add some cinnamon and honey, chill. Pretty good stuff! Never makes enough though.

I made it the other day when Melina was here and she loved it.

No comments: