Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Photoessay #882 - Jury Duty



So, so, I’m downtown at the King County Courthouse on Jury Duty. Big room maybe 100 people here. Supposedly selected on voting records and driver licenses. Very few people of color here, AA people don’t vote or get driver licenses? So far, they've show an inspiring video. Then you wait around and wait around. A judge requests a panel. That’s already happened, a judge asked for 50 jurors. They read off the names but my name was not called. Those people had to turn in their forms.

As of 10:30AM, nothing else has happened.

But one place definitely caught my eye; the decorated brass elevators are in a semi circle around a mosaic floor. When we finalized Susanna’s adoption in 1985, we had to come down to the courthouse with Susanna in tow, I was pregnant with Ilana, Susanna was probably cresting two years old. And wild. I remember Dennis in a 3 piece suit which was called for at the time. Every time we put the wriggling Susanna down, she would let out her trademark deafening shriek and run into whatever elevator was open Dennis would run and catch her just as the door was closing or two year old Susanna would be on her way to some courtroom making a loud ruckus along the way.


Was my mother with us? I have a picture somewhere. But now I sit in the jury room….note to self, bring cables tomorrow.

They release us at 11:15 until tomorrow.

No comments: