Thursday, November 5, 2009

Photoessay #883 - Jury Selection


I have mixed feelings about my experience today. Waiting in the jury room with my new jury duty pals (hey, one is the cousin of Becky Sisley!) during the usual interminable empty waits, we had the feeling that things would happen.

Word for the wise, if you get called to this experience, bring a cable, there are cable outlets all over the room and the wifi is awful.

They called names for two panels. 42 for one; 62 for another which cleared out most of the room. Including me (and my jury buddies). Right before lunch, our panel was called to the 8th floor to be met by the bailiff. I had all of this junk, was all logged on so it took me awhile to get everything turned off and put away. As I came out of the elevator, there were 61 people and the bailiff standing there, he's holding my number and saying 'Sandra Barnes?' I was the only one missing. 5 seconds of fame. We all filed into the courtroom in order, the defendants and their attorneys and the prosecutor turning around (similar to this photo) intently watching all of us.

The judge gives a little speech, introducing the defendants (two of them), informing us of the charges (19 counts of theft) and says the trial will run until near Thanksgiving (two or three weeks).

Yikes, 2+ weeks. NO way! They need 15, they have 62, I'm #26.

I'm so focused on getting out of it. After lunch, the judge asks a lot of questions if we know the defendants, reads off potential witnesses, whether we know people in law enforcement or courts, or know somebody affected by dementia. Middle aged well dressed couple, I'm guessing they ripped off an old person. Then she asks for health hardship, I mention my back condition, in fact, these hard benches with the ridge hitting me in the neck is pretty dang uncomfortable. Then, it's financial hardship time. Everybody trots out their financial hardship story mainly about busy professionals with tremendous commitments, including teachers, doctors, owners of small business. Pretty impressive. Also, I'm surprised that MOST of the people do not clain financial hardship. The judge considers all of our answers then, excuses about 15 people on the first round. Including me! I'm out of it! Whew!

I come home and proceed directly to the dog park. But now I'm really wondering what happened after I left. I was very interested in the process, what happened next?

The case concerned a married couple who stole from her mother. I found it easily in the Seattle Times. I didn't like the look of those folks....

Picture used without permission but captured that experience of the defendants and their counsel turning to look at all of us

No comments: