
We actually did it today, we went down to the Folklife Festival. A huge semi-free event at Seattle Center, tons of musicians and local participants. You can hear everything and anything at Folklife. I've long held to the "Folklife Experience", you got down to Folklife and you will hear something that will astound and change you, you just don't know what it will be, it will just happen. Too many years, we mean to go and just don't get there, softball, inertia. This year Naomi, Dennis and I went, we heard some Celtic music, Cape Breton strings, Romanian country music. Found a letterbox and met the boxing family. Had some Indian food. Had to admit, after 2 1/2 hours, I really wanted to come home. Think I'm getting something. No! No! Have to go to Rockford on Wednesday.
A view from the Bagley lawn where we sat to have lunch. I'm sure it got a lot more crowded later. You can see people standing around with their instruments, playing casually. I used to really enjoy the band jumbles. At a certain time, you signed up individually, the festival assigned people randomly to 'bands'. Two hours later, you performed.
We always run into people even though Folklife pulls from a huge area and we don't often go to such events. This year, the letterboxing family who placed the Folklife box, they came by and found me holding it, they went nuts welcoming me, they were thrilled. Also Krystal our niece. And Marjorie, wife of Pat who was busy participating, preparing to appear as a dancer, they'll run one of the dance sessions.
One year I went to a workshop put on by the Total Experience Gospel Choir in the Charlotte Martin theatre. They taught you how to sing the gospel tunes and in the end we all sang "O Happy Day", fun! I used to go with Laura, one year we sat through 5 hours of Andean music, she always wanted to see the Sea Chanties. One year, Dennis came home enamored of the Cowboy Poets. You never know.....

No comments:
Post a Comment