Friday, May 23, 2008

Photoessay #362 - Weekly naturopath


My doctor, Dr. F, a naturopath that I see almost weekly. What a luxury for me! I seem to respond well to alternative modalities for my chronic upper back condition, cranial-sacro therapy especially. Seems to keep pain and other symptoms in check for me. Because of my current flexible schedule, location and insurance coverage, I CAN go in once/week for therapy. Really really helps, also relaxing. A luxury for this middle-aged person to have somebody where I can chronicle my various aches and pains. More and more I lean to the naturopathic model, not so much for the theory, but these practitioners actually listen to you and consider you as a person. We ourselves see ourselves as complete people; if we've been fortunate to live long, then there's a lot that our bodies have seen. The conventional medical community mostly sees just a snippet of you for a moment. They sneak a look at your file as you walk in, make sure that your computer file is updated and the visit is documented, see if your symptoms fit into their designed diseases to fit a diagnosis and a prescription, maybe listen patiently to your woes for five minutes, then you're out the door. Have they done enough screening tests for liability? Have they given the required diet and exercise lecture? OK done.

I like this model much better. And I am grateful.

No comments: