Sunday, May 25, 2008

Photoessay #364 - Grams and Gramps 1986


If it looks like the bottom part of this picture is cut off, it's because it IS. Probably a great framing job done by yours truly.

Jim and Lanaya with their two grandchildren, Susanna and Danny. Early 1986 maybe? Before Ilana's birth (august 1986). The grandparents in their late fifties in this picture, not too much older than us. Looking good, they are very happy with their grandchildren. Even though Susanna didn't grow much hair until age 4 (and she's not yet two in this picture) and she makes more noise than ANYBODY. Still does. Jim has taken early retirement and they travel around buying and selling antiques. Live in Santa Cruz, enjoying that retiree life.

One custom in Dennis' family was that Cousin Alice and Lanaya felt that you should decorate the family graves with flowers on Memorial Day. I can't tell if it had anything to do with the military aspect at all. In later years, Jim and Lanaya would go to West Seattle and find her family's sites and leave flowers. As they became more infirm, Dennis would go help them. When Lanaya became disabled, Jim still felt he should do it out of obligation.

But now this year, I ask Dennis, does he want to do it. Took most of a day. He doesn't feel the need. I don't think I ever went on this errand.

No comments: