Friday, May 30, 2008

hell in a handbag

As in "Things went to hell in a handbag" which is rather what happened by the time I got to Rockford. Don't know that I'll have a picture to go with this or not.

About an hour before my plane landed in Chicago, my mother fell in her bedroom and hit her head on the side of a bedside table. Fortunately, she had on her bracelet with the emergency button so she could summon help. She was unable to get up on her own but she had a box of kleenex to sop up the blood (head wounds bleed copiously). Paramedics came and she ended up in the emergency room. I had neglected to let my sister know that Naomi and I had swtiched phones. Wouldn't have mattered much anyway. So I take the bus to Rockford, when I get to ClockTower, nobody there, early evening, nice weather, I figure it will get sorted out. Meanwhile, my sister is trying to contact me on the other phone which is ringing through to our home, she's leaving messages. Finally Dennis calls me and says "there is a whole string of messages here about your mom falling" and I get connected in. My mom is not picking me up because she's in the emergency room! Eventually their neighbors come and pick me up, I go back and fetch her car and go to the hospital. She's up on the floor, finally find her and stay with her until around 10:30pm. She's had stitches and they are keeping her 'overnight to watch her'.

Now Friday afternoon and she's still there at least until tomorrow. First it was '23 hour observation, then they were concerned with her 'blood levels' and now her 'kidney function'. I've been in and out, mainly doing errands, trying to please her (bringing hearing aids to have blood cleaned out of them, bringing her things, etc) Because of family dynamics, most everything I do displeases her, everything I do is wrong. I’m visiting her when I shouldn’t, I’m not visiting her when I should, brought her the wrong clothes, etc etc. She has a great ability to make me generally wrong just by being me. Which is the whole deal anyway.

But we did go through with the Bank and got that straightened out. Working myself out of a job as we speak. But I did get to the softball game last night. I will now look at my brother's new stained glass projects.

But having done this for three days, I am SO tired.

No comments: