Saturday, November 21, 2020

Thanksgiving capacity


 Here's a picture from last year's Thanksgiving with three of my adult children and spouses.  This particular configuration was a piece of plywood set on a table to make a big table.  Recently Dennis worked on the plywood, smooth the corners etc

But it makes me remember... I've always had a big Thanksgiving dinner.  I've been hosting since my mid-20s.  I always have a crowd.

Which brings me to a periodic 'discussion' I've had with my husband.  Thanksgiving morning, he would say "Now, HOW many people are we having?"  

"Sixteen," I reply.

"What?!!" he would say with consternation, "Sixteen!  That's too many!  We can't have sixteen.  Can't be done!"

"Sure it can," I replied, "You'll figure it out."

Followed with more grumbling about how unreasonable I am, there's no way, etc etc.  The trick is to leave the room.  I don't make suggestions.  Because he will figure out how to seat 16 people in our dining and living room.  Which are not that large.

We do have a selection of tables and the plywood and we always make it work.  It might be "Bring your own chair."  I think my largest group was 19, and that time, my husband and son in law had to move the living room couch out onto the deck to make it work.

But it always works.

Also, it's always in flux.  This year I think it's 11.  But remember, we are honoring the governor's orders and it's not going to be here in person.  Everybody's going to cook (including my 23 lb turkey) and we will meet downstairs in the garage and exchange food.  Everybody will go home and we'll have a zoom meeting.



No comments: