Monday, March 10, 2014

Photoessay #2869 - Justice Sotomayor's visit

I was fortunate to be able to participate in Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor's visit today at the University of Washington.  They emphasized that undergraduates and other students have priority for tickets.  As an access student, I got in on the second round.  They labeled the event as 'sold out' so I attended as part of an audience of 1200 in the HUB ballroom.  She was a warm accessible graceful speaker.  The hour program was done in a Q&A session by one of the provosts mainly with questions that students had submitted.  She insisted on individually recognizing the authors of the question individually.  Afterwards she wanted to go pose in the crowd.  It was a pretty wild scene and I'm sure the Marshals do hate it when she does it.  I tried to get in one picture when she came to my section.  But I don't think she was harmed!

The students loved her.  I sat in front of a group of latino students and you could tell that they just worshiped her.

She's in the center of this picture.  She did this over and over.

No comments: