Saturday, March 1, 2014

Photoessay #2860 - Some things from my class

My American Jewish Women  (with an emphasis on social activism) class is winding down; a few weeks left.  The professor has invited some great guest speakers; Jewish women in our community currently involved in social activism issues.  They spoke about how their Jewish background informed their work.

We've talked about tikun olum (repairing the earth) and tzedakkah (charity) all quarter.  Two terms very familiar to me.

Last week, Rabbi Lauren Kurland came and presented some talmudic style learning regarding passages regarding women.  Fun!  Excellent speaker and presenter.  She talked about her experience with the Jewish World Service.

Some comments from the classmates - 11 people in the class - 3 self-identified as Jews - 1 graduate student - mostly comparative religion majors.

"I've never met a rabbi before!" which is surprising but I'm not sure why.  I have found that many people think that rabbis must look really weird, from 'another world,'

"My friend said 'why are you studying those people;" standard antisemitism, just always surprising that it's still around.

But one young man, a history major who would like to teach women's history said with great sincerity "I had no idea that Jews were involved with charitable activities."  I really do like him and I think he will do well.  but I did think, what did you think us-all were doing with our time?  Mumbling over the talmud, what?

Shows just how much education that needs to be continually done.

Just got back from attending the carnival at the school where Naomi is student-teaching.  I haven't seen an old-fashioned school carnival like that since Mariemont days (50 years ago!).  School is in a 'diverse' fairly low-income area.  Big turn-out, lots of kids and parents.  I didn't bring my camera!  Naomi was so busy at the baseball toss booth.  Tickets sold for four for a dollar and I think there was leeway there.

Picture of Rabbi Kurland.

No comments: