Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Photoessay #2812 - More Harold/Rochester

A picture of my grandfather Harold Joseph Ginsburgh from the Harvard 1920 yearbook.  He would have been 20-21 years old.  Younger than my kids now.  The picture didn't come over too well.  Get a lot of gray scaling grid stuff.  I can't quite figure out who he looks like.  The eyes, it's a bit like I'm staring out of my own eyes in his picture.  The mouth, not so much.

He's a young man ensconced in the major institution of his life.  Harvard.  My grandfather was, first, a Harvard man and he always stayed close.  He went to University of Rochester his first two years and won a scholarship from the Rochester Harvard Club along with other scholarships.  Likely, he was just the kind of young man that some in Harvard would like to keep out.  Those studious Jewish boys from upstate New York that somehow snuck in.  There's evidence that the SAT tests were designed to keep the Jewish boys out.  They studied too much.  Of course, my mother denied this.

This is my father's father; from the Eastern European roots.  He went on to become an influential actuary and insurance company executive.

This house from Google, is the address located in the Harvard yearbook.  174 Berkeley Street, Rochester.  Built in 1910; a two family house.  Harold was the youngest.

No comments: