Monday, June 20, 2011

Photoessay #1427 - 35th Wedding Anniversary!


Today my husband and I celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. Who all has been married for that many years, these days? Comment if you have!

We were married on June 20, 1976 in Sacramento California. We had the actual ceremony in Dennis' parent's living room in Land Park with about 30 people there. The ceremony was performed by Grandfather Beittel, a congregational minister and a member of very close family friends (in fact I am visiting Sue Beittel next week in Marin County!) We had two attendants Matt Asay (who we just visited in Virginia a month or so ago) and my sister Pam. I refused to wear a white dress because... because... I don't remember, I don't think I had a reason, I just didn't want to. I have the antique lace incorporated into the dress which had been on my mother's and grandmother's gown. My mom snatched it back, right after ceremony. My sister has it now.

The picture was taken in front of Dennis' parents' house.

We had a larger reception (approx 100 people) at Campus Commons. Condominiums were just coming in. My father knew somebody at Campus Commons, a very upscale new condo complex with a very beautiful clubhouse.

And here we both are. Four kids and one grandchild later. How did we ever come to have such a large family? A whole other story. We are planning to go out this evening to a local restaurant on the water which has a nice early bird menu.

In local news. Naomi's at work getting ready to open YMCA day camp later this week. Matt is staying with us during the week while he works his engineering internship. Yesterday, he broke one of proven Travel Commandments. Thou shalt not fly late in the day from a regional airport. We got stuck in that last summer from Hartford. Hartford flight got delayed, missed the connection in Detroit, We were there another day. He started his internship today but as of 7pm yesterday evening he was stuck in Gainesville, FL. Flight delayed, missing connection in Atlanta. But he had to be here this morning! He talked his way onto a later oversold flight in Atlanta, arriving here at our house around 2:30am and made it to work this morning. Young folks (see picture above) can do this.

No comments: