Friday, June 17, 2011

Photoessay #1424 - Wedding photos for dead marriages



Dear readers, you need to help me here. As I've mentioned, I'm working on the family pictures. My millions plus all of my parent's albums plus my in-laws albums. One goal is to make a photo album for each of my kids. I've been working on it. I think I'm down to 58 photo albums and 4 BIG file boxes jammed with snapshots separated by (approximate) year.

I found a big album stuffed with hundreds of pictures of my niece's first six months of life. More baby pictures than should be legally permitted. What to do with that? At first, I started taking the pictures out of the heavy old album to send to my sister. But that seemed crazy so I put them back. I conferred with my sister who said "Throw them away!" She's got all those pictures, she doesn't need my mom's copies too. So I took a few out and tossed it.

Here's my new question. My mother had two lovely albums of wedding pictures from my sister's wedding in 1984 (marriage ended in 1993) and my brother's second wedding in 1993 (marriage lasted a few years). Very nice pictures. But generally people whose marriages end in divorce do not like looking at those wedding pictures. Somehow it's a bad idea to display weddings for marriages that have ended. Nobody puts them up on the wall.

But everybody's marriage ends eventually. Maybe you don't divorce but somebody dies, right? So I've been married 35 years next Monday. So my wedding pictures are ok? But these aren't? Who stays married for 35 years these days anyway?

I guess I will ask my sibs what to do with these pictures. My sister says "Pitch it!" I'm not even going to ask my brother.

First shot is my sister's wedding party in 1984. We built a chupa using her friend Robin's talit over an arch. It was a project but worked. Yes, that's me as the Maid of Honor. And my brother's second wedding in 1993. They only invited two guests, my parents. Now that's a small wedding.

No comments: