Sunday, May 29, 2011

Photoessay #1305 - Museum of Flight





Today, we continued on our museum campaign with a visit to the Museum of Flight. With Naomi and Melina. My main memory of this museum was when Susanna was about two, manbe even younger. My parents were in town and wanted to go. But Susanna (now 26) was so wild that the only thing I could do was ride up and down in the glass elevator with her. She loved that squealing and pushing the buttons. I remember thinking, this might be a real interesting museum if I got to see it. Which I didn't.

But this time I did. But it's so much huger than I remember it. You can hardly see all of it in one visit. I particularly enjoyed the parts about the beginning of the Boeing company. I realize it's a sanitized version. Those early aviation pioneers were so ingenious and ambitious. I didn't realize that the Boeing folks built an airplane factory in China (with their main engineer Wong Tzu) bevore they built a factory in Seattle. The first factory was in a large red barn which is part of the musuem (not sure if it's the original). Also those Stratocruisers were so roomy and they used to feed you, emagine that. And I loved reading about the Pan Am float planes.

They also HAVE a bunch of planes in their main hall and lots of space stuff. Across the street, they had some old planes for view including a Concorde and the 707 Air Force One used by pesidents Johnson and Kennedy.

You could purchase a ride from a real B17 they had landing and taking off right in front. The airplane rides were pretty pricey in the hundreds of dollars so we didn't do that.

but I did take a picture of it as it was flying around. Also a picture of Dennis, Naomi and Melina in the main hall and Naomi and Melina in the space section.

A note on my piece for the reading. I've switched it around a lot. The first paragraph got moved towards the end and I've eliminated almost all of the second paragraph.

No comments: