Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Photoessay #1280 - Gulls


On the way home from Vancouver last Friday, Ilana and I stopped at one of my favorite places, White Rock. I don't think my mom had ever been here, but if she had, she would have loved it. Cute beach town less than two hours away from Seattle on the shores of Border Bay looking south to Blaine and maybe the San Juan Islands in the distance. A promenade all along the rocky beach and whole rows of fish and chips and gelato places. Years ago, I asked people in the shops what fish and chips place THEY liked and got a consensus for Coney Island. So that's where I've bought them since. The pieces of fish are huge (think a 5x7 photo). Ilana and I split a double and it was more than we could eat.

A weekday afternoon and the gulls were ready for us. We took the fish and chips across the street and easily found a table. One of the gulls thought he would sit right on our table assuming he was a guest. Another hovered in the air right near us squawking. Ilana started throwing some fries and you can imagine the result.

This picture grabbed me even though Ilana isn't in the shot. A gull taking flight on a warm spring afternoon. But there are at least 12 other birds in the picture, can you find them?

No comments: