Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Photoessay #1268 - Camellias



Camellias are blooming here in Seattle. I have a rogue bush in my front yard that doesn't seem to know when to stop. It just gets bigger and bigger. Actually I have a rhodedendron bush in the back that has the same issue. Propensity towards hugeness.

Or to use a phrase we talked about at class last night. Noun on abstraction

Camellia bush of limitless promise

or similar.

First shot is one of the blooms from my bush taken maybe two weeks ago. It blooms pink and proud.

Camellias were big in Sacramento when I was growing up. My mother especially loved them, she had some large bushes right by the door in the Arden Park house. Her favorite (aptly named Lady Clare") had very large deep pink blooms with yellow stamens in the middle. You could enjoy them in February in that Mediteranean climate (kinda, Sacramento was in the semi-arid central valley). Sacramento was known as the "Camellia Capital of the World", there was a big show and I remember going. Maybe in the big Memorial Auditorium near the center of the city? I enjoyed the misty atmosphere and all of the impossibly delightful varieties of flowers. (reds, pinks, whites including pale pale pink shades) I remember the Japanese flower arranging and bonsai plants also featured.

Capitol Park near the Capitol building also had a large "Camellia grove" which bloomed at the same time.

The camellias were also a harbinger of the early spring of the Sacramento Valley.

No comments: