Friday, April 15, 2011

Photoessay #1263 - Teddy and Starbaby



First, the newsflash. Teddy was injured today at the dog park and required some minor surgery to repair his ear. Another dog Rocko (black lab mix) came in and started playing quite aggressively with Drake(Malamute mix). But the owners were cool with it. Teddy is quite submissive, he's nosing the ball around trying to get anybody to throw it. Other dogs often mount him to show dominance. Occasionally he will snap at them "cut it out". So Rocko mounted him, he told Rocko to "cut it out" and the fight ensued. I was pulling Teddy away. Drake's owner who was trying to pull Rcoko away said Teddy didn't really have a choice because Rocko was latched onto his ear. When I pulled Teddy away, he let go but Rocko didn't. Teddy was hurt, Rocko not. His torn ear bled a lot, dripping all over. I tried to stanch the bleeding with my scarf. Drake's owner and Rocko's owner both tried to help. I just knew I should get Teddy to the vet. I got Teddy to the car, called the vet to let them know we were coming. I couldn't corral Teddy in the car, his makeshift bandage kept coming off, bleeding all over. I stopped along the side of the road, just so happened right by Drake's owner's house (I've hung out with him at the dog park but don't know his name!). He recognized the van, came out to help. Brought some rags out. I told him that I really needed somebody to ride with me to the vet. He agreed. So we took this bleeding dog to the vet, I brought him in and he bled all over the floor, they took him back. Drake's owner was outside marveling at how many places in the car had blood on them; cleaning things up. I took him home, returned to the vet. Ted's having minor surgery on his ear and I'll pick him up in an hour. Poor guy, he's going to have to wear The Cone for a week.

I took these pictures last week. Starbaby, the cat, has trained Teddy in her S&M scene. Starbaby ENCOURAGES Teddy to chew on her. She LIKES it. She trained Shadow the same way. Starbaby sets herself up on the desk chair and invites the dog over to work her over. You can see the cat's reaction. Weird. So then they both look up and wonder why I'm doing here because they're FINE.

Thanks you Drake's owner, I really appreciated your help!

No comments: