
I have identified the life cycle of a scanner. Evidence-based.
Stage 1 - New scanner We have purchased a new scanner. Now we can all scan any picture that we want. Yippee!
Stage 2 - Scanner works. But only Dennis can work the scanner. Not sure why but only he can scan pictures.
Stage 3 - Scanner doesn't really work. Dennis can no longer can make the scanner work. He doesn't want to admit it. So he stalls and hopes it will fix itself.
Stage 4 - Scanner doesn't work. Dennis concedes that the scanner no longer works. Nobody knows why or how to fix it. Protracted period where we have no working scanner
Stage 5 - Proceed to Stage 1
Generally the life cycle of a scanner is a bit over one year.
We are currently in Stage 4. Note the current picture of our scanner. Stuff piled on top of it. Not working. No scanner.
I am currently using the poor (or rich) man's method of scanning. Taking pictures of the photos with my (currently working) digital camera. Works ok, not great.
We have paid good money for all of these failed scanners....

2 comments:
I've wanted to buy a photo scanner for a while. I have all the old photos and would like the rest of the family to have copies. Have you ever read my friend Kit's blog? granddadman.blogspot.com? She writes in her 'father's' voice and scans all the old pictures. I haven't bought one yet because I think it could turn into a big project and I've got too many other things keeping me busy.
You can buy one but that doesn't mean that it's going to work for very long. Dennis made a valiant effort to reinstall ours last night but he had downloaded some 'new software' and the something or other files are messed up and it didn't work and we are still in stage 4.
Post a Comment