Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Half Dills


Yesterday I went to a large QFC supermarket at University Village.  Named by my daughter the Jew FC because of their large selection of kosher items.  They did not disappoint.  They had an area about half the size of our living room (maybe larger) devoted for kosher for passover items.  Usually I have to beg our local markets.  Even a large gourmet store like Central Market said they wouldn't have theirs set up until next week.  So I went all the way down there to buy passover stuff.  First time I have been a grocery store for a year!  So I bought matzah and grape juice and horseradish and even macaroons.  I saw this jar of pickles.  

I know, in the back of my mind, that these might be the kind of pickles my mother liked, crispy, lightly spiced.  Half-Dills she called them.  I told myself that I was buying them for Dennis because he like pickles.  When we opened them, they were just as I hoped, crispy and lightly dill.  Dennis declared that he didn't like them.  They tasted like cucumbers, he said.  But, I thought, pickles are made from cucumbers.  My mother would have loved these pickles.  And I haven't seen any for years.  When Dennis buys pickles, they are rubbery and over-spiced.

Oh well, his loss!







 




1 comment:

Matt Asay said...

We've got a jar of them in our fridge right now…