Sunday, April 26, 2020

Searching for Cherry Street







A map of sites important to Maier Zunder’s life.

 I mapped out the important locations in the life of my great grandfather Maier Zunder (1829-1901).  Almost all are within the historic Nine Square area of New Haven CT.  I included his houses on Cherry St and Orange St; the two locations of his business, a wholesale grocery on State Street.  Though he was one of the biggest merchants in New Haven, he also founded and served as a bank president, founded and developed and B’nai B’rith Lodge.  But the vocation nearest his heart was serving on the New Haven Board of Education during the period that public education was developed.  As the result of his service, the Board named a new elementary school (long demolished) after him.

I used a historical map, more towards his own time rather than a contemporary map.  Not only does it reflect his life and times, but it includes a very particular element.

In some early newspaper articles, his address is listed on Cherry Street.  He also lived near Germania Hall (Seattle had one); Maier was very active in the German community.

On Sept. 4, 1870, a large group assembled at Gernamia Hall on Cherry Street, in recognition of the victory in the Franco-Prussian war.  Among the speakers was Maier Zunder. (Quoted from the Register, Oct. 12, 1872) (77)[1]

But where was Cherry Street?  I had never seen a Cherry Street, searched the maps.  Then I started looking at old maps of New Haven on a Yale website.  Sure enough, when I went back far enough, I found Cherry Street, it was off State Street, crossed the railroad tracks (don’t know if they were there then) and turned into Wooster Street, a block off Wooster Square.

Now there is nothing there, bare land.  New Haven fell prey to ‘redevelopment’ in the 1960s and the city bulldozed a number of vibrant ethnic neighborhoods and replaced them with …. Nothing.


On a trip to New Haven, I talked to two people who would know about Cherry Street.  I met with Colin C., a local historical architect and entrepreneur in the Institute Library (a whole other story) and asked him about Cherry Street.  I had to throw a little green to his restaurant tour first.  He declared that there was no Cherry Street.  I showed him the old map; he was stunned.  How could there be a street in historic New Haven that he didn’t know about?  I also talked to a senior librarian (now retired) and the Colony (remember the fancy historical society).  He also declared there was no Cherry Street but he had a lot of old maps and we found it.

Colin C. was really more interested in another great great grandfather of mine, Paul Weil who owned a tavern in the Nine Squares area.  I would like to know more about him too.  The German Jewish community (mostly from Bavaria) was tremendously intermarried.  Everybody was related to everybody else three ways.  One day, he emailed me that he had found Maier Zunder’s house on Orange Street and he sent me poor quality image.  Orange Street is a major street; I had several addresses.  My genealogy teacher at that time said that they probably renumbered it; she was right.  I hit Google maps, knew where it might be and found it right away. 

Here’s a recent photo from Google maps

This is actually two town houses which have been combined together.  Maier’s house was the one on the right.  It’s all been remodeled and a three story office addition on the back.  When I was there, I asked the law firm that was there then if I could look around.  They let me go anywhere I wanted.  I didn’t pick up too much signal.

This was a very convenient location to his businesses, to the Board of Education and also to Mishkan Israel synagogue, the ‘new’ temple built in 1896 was just a block to the right.  He must have used a horse and buggy to get around but I haven’t figured out how that worked.


[1] Werner Hirsch, “Encyclopedia of New Haven Jews, (New Haven: unpublished, 2006) 451.  The Register quoted is the New Haven Register

No comments: