Thursday, April 23, 2020

Coded information - Holocaust


So how did I know that I had relatives that died in the holocaust?

Some years ago, I was working on the Schmeihiem kehila link on Jewish gen https://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/Schmieheim/  and learning about Ortissenbuchers, partially coded family lists requested by the Nazis and often kept up as genealogical tools later.  I write an illustrated story about my great grandfather Morris Baumann which is still up there.  The person who ran the site sent me images of pages which might contain my family members.

Included above from family 1999 on page 372.  The family of Leopold Baumann

One son, David, shows where the death date should be:


vertistmeldung durch amstgerecht frankfurt/m. seit 8-3-1945

which, compliments of Google Translate:

notification of disbursement by Frankfurt am Main since 8-3-1945

What does THAT mean??  My Schmeihiem person says that means they died in the Holocaust.  Isn't that so German, to hide it under legalese?  I would never guess the meaning unless I was informed.

No comments: