Wednesday, December 11, 2019
Lothar closer and Ortssippenbucher
So here's a closeup of Lothar in his sixth grade class in 1939. He's likely 13 here, he will die at 16. Alone, without his parents, at Auschwitz in Sept 1942.
Yesterday I did a big demo for the Archives Committee and I also talked about my meeting with Laureen Nussbaum and her showing me this picture which also includes herself. Even though I've lived in Seattle for 40 years, I don't have any relatives here. On my side anyway. One of the ladies asked me about his relationship to me. I said, confidently, he's my mother's second cousin. I think it might have taken them aback because I'm not usually related to anybody.
But later I started to doubt myself. What if I have this wrong? Do I have the correct Leopold (Lothar's grandfather) brother to Morris Baumann (my great grandfather). So I dug out the Ortssippenbucher sent to me by Peter from Kehila Links. He explains
They are secondary records that have been compiled from primary records, extracted from vital and sometimes even emigration records of Jews and Christians for towns in Germany. They were first initiated by the Nazis who sought to identify people who were not of pure Aryan ancestry. Thirty of these were produced by 1940, when production was stopped because of the war. Another 70 were produced after the war years, although no longer for the purpose of genocide. Following the practices of recorded primary records, OSB have separate sections for the Jewish population.
They're in a kind of code but not hard to understand. Peter sent me about 10 pages. And there it is. THAT Leopold is brother to THAT Morris.
Here it is:
It's THAT Leopold who had a son died in the Holocaust and that Maier (with that birthdate) who came to America and changed his name to Morris circa 1885.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment