Sunday, November 24, 2019

Building the dove




We've been planning this piece of guerilla art for quite some time.  To bring some art to the Northwest Detention Center (now called the ICE Processing Center) the private immigration prison in Tacoma.  Seen in the background if this shot.  The design is a 'dove of peace.  I'm not in the picture but Dennis, Susanna, Megan and my friend Kolette are busy working on it.  We ordered specific tiles designed for chain link fence art.  I found a design of a dove on the internet.  Kolette ordered the tiles and Susanna organized them into rows.  Putting it up was surprisingly easy with Susanna's direction.  The weather worked out great also, it had forecasted to the cold and rainy.  But it isn't, we're not that heavily dressed and we're comfortably working.

Nobody knows it's there or that we made it.  But word will get out starting tomorrow.

I was super conservative making sure that we (especially Susanna) had 'our papers' in case of ICE harassment.  But nobody bothered us.  Sunday afternoon seemed a good time that nobody would be around.  When it was done, I made sure we did not stick around!

The second picture was the finished project...



No comments: