Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Photoessay #2859 - Diary

On my way home from the dentist this very cold morning (in the 20s), I ran into a developing situation.  On a street close to my home, it looked like a garbage truck had run into a utility pole, causing wires to come down onto trees, the road, over everything.  Not even traffic direction yet, I turned around and went home another way.

Came home, no internet.  Related?  likely.  Anyway it didn't come back for five or six hours.  Refreshingly I didn't miss it so much as I might in earlier years.  I had plenty to do catching up on my class and getting ready for long weekend trip.

I found this image on a postcard stuck in an old book.  This is what Anne Frank's diary looked like.  We've all heard of the diary.  But, it looked so pedestrian, like something I might have when I was young though I am much younger than her.  Somehow I was expecting something else.  The colorful plaid and the snap strap.  I don't remember ever seeing it before.  Somehow made it all the more real.  Like seeing WWII pictures in color.  Somehow the black and white makes it all seem impossibly old.

No comments: