Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Photoessay #1528 - End of Memoir 2.0


I took Theo's followup class to the yearlong course from last year. 5 sessions? Over before I knew it. It did motivate to write the Sleepy Sickness piece that I'm still working on. Her other assignment was to write a Risk piece, about something personally risky to write about. We workshopped in pairs. I wrote about how I discovered I was a person of color. I was partnered with Jean who wrote about being fat. I really appreciated working with Jean.

The class was held in this little room with the high table and stools. Nobody liked the stool table arrangement but I got used to it. Located in the Roy Coffee Company (after Roy Street on Capitol Hill), a groovier than thou coffee place that did a healthy business every time was there. Across from the Harvard Exit Theater for those in Seattle. Underground garage which helped as parking in Capitol Hill is pretty impossible.

Last night, Theo was talking about endings.

Here's my original ending:

I realize that I would not have felt comfortable searching for specific information from the medical records or archives if my in-laws were still alive. For Lanaya, some truth-telling and transparency by her family, who clearly loved her, could have given her some comfort and confidence. The secrecy and shape handicapped all of us and took away the opportunity for the family to grieve the loss of a life damaged too soon.

I'm considering a more dramatic click stop ending:

I realize that I would not have felt comfortable searching for specific information from the medical records or archives if my in-laws were still alive. Despite my research, the events of Ruth's life were effectively lost. Those closest to her wanted Ruth's story closed.

I have a very funny Eleanor story which I will write up maybe tomorrow. Funny to me anyway.

Shot shows the room where we met with Theo at the end. The dark haired person was leaving and I would take the place at the end left of Theo.

No comments: