Saturday, August 13, 2011

Photoessay #1440 - Stratus


Stratus - the name of the new journal being started by University of Washington Professional and Continuing Education to showcase their (many) writing certificate programs.

I completed the Memoir Certificate program this past spring. They were putting together anthologies for some of the classes with a .pdf file as product. I know that my teacher and classmates did not want to take valuable class time fiddling with it.

This Stratus project was different. It also had a .pdf file as an output but selection was 'competitive' and a small honorarium will be granted.

Some suggested being careful about submitting your 'best piece' to a minor journal. On the other hand, you have to start somewhere and figure that you'll have something new to submit.

My piece "The Winter Olympics" is about my mother's death. It's a strong piece, I know it. I decided to go ahead and submit it to this new journal. Only way to go is up. So I was thrilled THRILLED to get the email notification that my piece is selected.

I haven't heard a thing from my memoir buddies. Haven't heard that somebody else's piece was selected or not selected. Or if anybody submitted anything at all. I figure they would take one or two from each class.

But it doesn't matter really. Isn't a large part of success merely showing up? Does it matter the level of competition. If any? I submitted it and it was selected. We'll have to see how it all works out. I now have a sentence I can use.

"Her work has appeared in Stratus, xxxxx, xxxxx, and xxxxx."

One step at a time! I'm truly a late bloomer.

Picture of Stratus taken from a student website on a page entitled "All about Clouds". Used without permission.



No comments: