Friday, June 10, 2011

Photoessay #1317 - Older women


Today I had lunch with my friend Linda as we do every month. We've known each other for 28 years, been through some thick and thin. She talked about frustration with some women our age (59) who seemed unable to step up when their husbands lose their jobs or are unable to work. Maybe these women are working part-time or in jobs that don't bring in much money. Realistically they may not be able to get a job at a living wage (I don't want to hear from conservative spokespeople trying to justify low wages in the spirit of increasing employment or making room in the labor force for newcomers).

But this was not what was bothering her. She felt that these other women felt entitled that they should not have to work, they wouldn't step up to carry their share of the responsibility. My friend does work full time, in fact we met at her employer all those years ago when I worked there for a short time and then later for several years at a subcontractor.

Myself, I am in a different place, not employed. Which is currently not a catastrophe for me. And I don't expect it to be a problem. But these other women could have been in my place in a previous time. I don't worry about money (except looking at the stock market today, yuck!) but know there's always mystery in our future.

On a brighter note, my friend's husband who had the stroke almost two weeks ago, is making great strides. To quote her latest update "Another one of Steve's doctors said today that she is amazed by his unprecedented rate of recovery. " Keep going, yeah!!

Picture taken from the Montreal Gazette of participants for an organization Elderquest, Inc. Used without permission.

Wait, wait, what am I talking about? I'm employed. In fact, I have to work all day Saturday and Sunday as event staff at the graduations for University of Washington, Seattle (in the stadium, 40K people expected) and the University of Washington, Bothell. At the usual going rate of $10/hr, no benefits. I even bought a hat for $7 at Bartells that goes with what I'm wearing. I'll report back my experiences.

No comments: