Friday, May 27, 2011

Photoessay #1303 - Folklife


Memorial Day in Seattle, time for the Folklife festival, a huge gathering of musicians, dancers, storytellers, more than you can ever see. In years past, I've gone and really enjoyed myself. Used to love that 'folklife experience' where you go to the festival with an open mind and some performance or workshop will transform you in some way. Bui you never knew what.

But over the last few years, I have not enjoyed myself and wanted to go home early. The crowds got to me. The weird seating arrangements strained my back. I just wasn't so interested in the groups. I didn't like sitting around the venues and getting to another one seemed too hard. I didn't like sitting on the ground outside. Even that crazy festival food didn't taste that good. Except maybe the strawberry shortcake.

So this year, Dennis took the day off; he wants to do folklife. I could have gone but I sent him himself. Maybe I'm done with Folklife. For now. Going the first day is great, sparser crowds. But only one indoor venue. So off he went; hope he's having a good time.

But I've been working on my piece for the reading next week, watching the Oregon Ducks lose in Florida. James came over with some counter top samples that might work as a contrast; he thinks he can do better.

As Naomi says in her facebook entry, check your email guys, you might just have a job offer in there.

Picture of the Folklife festival taken from wikipedia. Hope Dennis is having a great time down there.

No comments: