Thursday, May 26, 2011

Photoessay #1302 - Last memoir class



I've been taking a memoir writing certificate class through Continuing Education at the University of Washington since September. Last night was the last class with a reading at University Book Store next Tuesday at 6pm. I have really enjoyed it and learned a ton. I've been writing daily for quite awhile but this class introduced a lot of concepts and exercises as well how to get your work published. I've also enjoyed the authors who have come to speak. Just open my eyes to lots of things that I want to learn and do.

This class was taught on the level of a graduate MFA program with a heavy workshopping emphasis. Meaning that every week, we all had to read lots of our classmate's work and make comments and suggestions. Every week, I often had to give input on 3-7 pieces. A lot of work besides my own writing. Theo (the teacher) says that she's seen a lot of improvement in all of us over the course of the year. It's hard for me to evaluate my own work but the class contains many talented authors who write quality brilliant pieces.

We had one main workshop piece per quarter. The first quarter I wrote about Priscilla's death in 1971. I don't know if I'll go back to that. I had thought that I might concentrate on UCSC 1970. But it was just too long ago and the story itself just doesn't hold together. The second quarter I wrote about my mother's death (2 death stories) a year ago February. I've already written that story several times. It has a lot of legs and a definite 'arc' (transformation) with the Winter Olympics as a perfect backdrop. I revised it further from all of the comments I received (took 2 full days!). There's another class in copy-editing and, for a final project, they reached out asking for writing pieces for them to edit. I got one of the spots and submitted my revised Winter Olympics piece. I'm supposed to get it back at the end of May which is, like, now. Halfway through the year, I decided to write about parent group issues. My spring workshop piece was about using parent group techniques in regards to a cake for a fund -raising auction.

We started with 23 students (all women), ended with 16 by the end of spring quarter. Everybody was there last night! In some ways, it's sad that the class has ended. I've really enjoyed it; attended every session except one in December when I went to Hawaii with my sister and brother. But maybe, it's time to move on.

Two pictures taken last night by classmate Faren Bechelis. I'm in the middle of the back row. Second picture showing Theo teaching.

No comments: