Thursday, November 19, 2009

Photoessay #897 - The rains of November


I should know by now. It pours all during November. The leaves pile up and it rains some more making a several inch thick layer of gross soggy leaves in my yard. The winds blow and then we lose our power. Very disheartening. The basements of the houses on either side of me flood.

Knock on wood, ours never has. I know as I write this that now our lower floor will flood. Everything's damp. Towels do not dry here. Maybe after 3 days. The dog is wet, my shoes are wet. Rain. Wet. Rain Wet.

But one thing about Seattleites, the rain doesn't stop us. I have been to the dog park every afternoon and they've all been rainy. I've never been alone. Usually Tony is there in all of his six month old german shepherd goofiness. Who cares if it's pouring, stand under the trees. The dogs continue to frolic and wrestle. My sister explained that people weren't at the dog park in Rockford because it was rainy. And rain doesn't deter you from a trip to the Anderson Japanese Garden. My mother marveled that on the rainy evening coming out of the chinese buffet, I just walked right out into the rain not paying it no never mind.

The rain does weigh heavily at times. Cliff says "Very substantial precipitation during the next two days" Greatttttt. More rain. And Wind.

Ny dog Teddy loves to do obedience work. I taught him how to heel (sort of) yesterday. He loves to sit and stay and lie down and lay on his side. He finds it very enjoyable. Luna, a white german shepherd likes to do obedience. Her owner is always putting her through her paces. Teddy was so interested. When Luna did her trick, her owner would throw the ball. Teddy didn't care about the thrown ball, he just wanted to do the tricks.

I have a talent on my hands.

Picture used from www.kidtruant.com which I found very amusing. Including this very cool sentence about rain. It's dark and grey, and the rain is bouncing back up from the puddles on the sidewalk so it feels as if the air itself is soaking wet.

No comments: