Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Photoessay #889 - Shoutout to a merchant


I don't want to get anybody in trouble but I wanted to show my appreciation for customer service at a certain electronic chain left unnamed. Because of my upper back condition, I really need to use a phone headphone all the time. I've used a lower priced headphone that plugs into the phone. I use it HARD and I need to replace it every one in a while. Sometimes when I buy them, they offer me 'a free replacement' plan. Pay a fee and, if it needs replacement during the year, it's free. Recently, I replaced the headphone and decided to pay the six bucks for the plan.

My experience has been, when it's not working right, you bring the offending item into the store and they give you a new one.

So, that cable-munching puppy struck again. I was distracted with power outages and conference calls yesterday morning and, at noontime, I looked up and there on the floor was *part* of my headphone cable. I soon found the other part right by his bed. I didn't take a picture of it but I'm sure you can visualize the hardware problem. The part of the cable connected to the headphones was no longer connected to the cable with the jack. We're talking completely empty space between these parts.

Bad dog!

So I go into the store and I just put down the two pieces on the counter and say that I bought the replacement plan. Per my plan, I did not volunteer what had happened but clearly some trauma was responsible. The manager person looks me up, sure enough I had purchased the replacement plan. He has to make a phone call. I'm staying aloof as I don't want to have to admit that my puppydog had chewed it up. But I can hear him answering the question about the reason for the return.

"It just doesn't work", he says in a deadpan voice.

I crack up at this!

So, he gets down another headphone off the rack and gives it to me along with a brochure about the plan. He explains that I'm really supposed to send in the offending part, they send me back a gift card with the value. I say that I assume that I've used up my free replacement. He says no, he's just doing an exchange and I still can get my free replacement.

So he took back my chewed up headphone for free and replaced it and I haven't used up my plan at all! Wow, nice!

Now, I don't like this new plan because when my headphone dies, I want a new one right away, I don't want to have to do all this sending away stuff.

But a shoutout to this merchant for making it all right when they really didn't have to. My friend Emily says she's had the same positive experience with the store down the street. The staff went out of their way to make sure that they got the best deal.

I had a similar problem with my previous dog Shadow when she was young. She took a liking to a particular kind of shoes (Sambas) that my kids wore. She repeated chewed up the right Sambas for several of my kids. Very destructive. Finally I got so frustrated, I took the pair of shoes (the right one pretty chewed up), took them back to Penneys and said, with a straight face "I'm dissatisfied with my purchase" and they took them back!

No honor, I have no honor....

No comments: