Monday, November 9, 2009

Photoessay #887 - Cape George 1994


In 1994, I prepared quite an elaborate photo album for my parents, must have been in honor of my mom's 70th birthday. How did I do that? It has cute little labels and appropriate pictures. When I visited there this last time, I took it (with her permission)

Shows what was happening in our lives at that time.

Jim and Lanaya had their manufactured home in the Cape George development outside of Port Townsend. Beautiful view of Discovery Bay from their deck. But those wicked frigid winds would blow. This might have been close to the end of their stay there. Lanaya's world started to follow apart as dementia started to develop and take it's toll. They had grown up in West Seattle and were settled in Santa Cruz. They counted on us to come and visit at Christmas. But when Danny was little, we got stuck going over the Siskiyous and I refused to make that trip again in the winter with small kids in the car. And I only had one at the time! You can see what subsequently happened.

Jim and Lanaya moaned and complained, tried to convince use to change our mind but I held firm. Eventually they moved up to the Puget Sound region. I loved the view here, hated to see it go. But I hated that trip to Port Townsend with 4 little kids in the car. Especially on the way back, when it was dark and cold and everybody had been cooped up and being 'good' for the grandparents. You could rot in that ferry line at Kingston.

What's going on in the picture? Maybe it was starting to snow. No, look it's spring, flowering trees, maybe a lot of cottony stuff was blowing around. Danny looks up trying to figure out what's up. Susanna, as usual, takes the active approach, looks like she's flinging herself over the railing. She never had her feet on the ground if something else more interesting presented itself. Still like that. Ilana likely in her own world and Naomi just hanging with the crowd.

Reminds me of my clothes buying strategy at that time. Buy tons of size ten sweatpants and EVERYBODY wears them. Nobody owned a pair of jeans.

It's been raining all day and I have a little boy dog who is just getting into everything. We even went to the dog park for awhile and hung out with another guy with his dogs in the rain. Clearly, it's not enough.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Just looking at all that energy makes me tired. Whew! I think that is snow/hail coming down...the tree below could in bloom as early as March (or even earlier) and you could still have some snow. Look at the clumps Danny's holding...