Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Photoessay #230 - ABC Wednesday - Y - Blue Yoo


It makes more sense to put up my ABC Wednesday post up on Tuesday because I do it so late in the day and there are so very many time zones in front of me.

I was planning to use this picture today anyway...so fuss around with the title and I have a 'y' post.

Blue Yoo

The locals refer to the University of Washington as the 'U' or 'Yoo'. As in 'Ilana's goes to the U'.

This scene, taken from the I-5 bridge should be very familiar to Seattle residents. The view of the University of Washington which borders on the Ship Canal (foreground) and Lake Washington (background). Taken last Sunday in the late afternoon on the way back from the Underground Tour. You can see Husky stadium with its twin overhanging stands in the middle right. When we first moved here, they built the second set of stands and the assembly did not go correctly. The huge partially constructed grandstand collapsed during construction. The loads or angles or something weren't correct or balanced and it became a huge pile of ruined, twisted, tangled steel. Yikes, what a mess! Glad it collapsed then and not when it contained thousands of Husky fans.

Suzallo Library, the large brick building in the center left borders on Red Square, a big central brick plaza with a parking garage underneath.

The snow-covered Cascades peeking through in the far background on this clear January day. Glassy sapphire hues on the water. So many blue tones! I maintain the light in Seattle is so blue, year round though I'm not quite sure what I mean. Dennis thinks it's some distortion introduced by the car window or the camera.

The 'yoo' for you!

4 comments:

bonnie said...

My daughter goes to the Yoo of Md. We don't have Huskies, we have Terrapins. It usually looks like a turtle standing up beating its chest. Really fearsome, don't yoo think?

mrsnesbitt said...

fascinating! I learn so much every Wednesday!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

We have the Huskies here in CT too. I have been to the Seattle area four times and loved it each time. A trip to Bainbridge Island was my favorite.

Neva said...

Very pretty shot! I learn so much through the blogging world!