Sunday, December 30, 2007

Photoessay #221 - This year - Losses (pt 3)


Dan Beittel passed away at the end of August from complications of a brain tumor. 79 years old, too young. I have been close to the Beittel family my entire life, I am considered (and consider them) extended family. I count their (now adult) children as my cousins. I always greatly admired them and they have influenced my life considerably. They have always been great model for me of how a family could be and as examples of how to richly conduct your life. I knew Sue and Dan Beittel as a child when the two families would gathered for holidays, as a college student (I lived with them for a summer) and as an adult (Dan's father married us). I can proudly say that they are my parent's friends and then they became my friends.

Mark Beittel wrote a beautiful moving eulogy which he delivered with tremendous heart at his father's memorial. Dan radiated warmth, acceptance, and great ideas, I always loved being around him. The theme that Mark chose was "a gentle man". So appropriate and so descriptive.

The conclusion from Mark's Eulogy:
Almost everyone who has written or spoken about my father in these last weeks has emphasized that he was a kind and gentle man. I knew this as a son, but I have come to understand that his gentle eyes, his gentle smile, his gentle voice were at the heart of whom he was and the impact he had on our world. A family friend wrote: “Dan’s gentle listening helped me get through some dark times and helped brighten some good ones.” That’s my dad… grandpa… Dan… Daniel Charles Beittel.



They always welcomed me into their home and I visited them whenever I could. Dennis and I visited in this past May during our softball trip (Photoessay #64). I remember the year before, we had come to visit and Dan INSISTED that he would drive us to the Oakland airport (there was no convincing him otherwise). As they left us off, I prayed fervently "Keep well, please keep well".

When reading the previous photoessay, I realized that I have repeated some things. I choose to keep these repititions as they can be said again. Picture was from one of the photos featured on the memorial table (prepared by Lynn, June, Giovanna and Micolle)

No comments: