Sunday, May 20, 2018

Paul Simon concert


Dennis and I went to the Paul Simon concert on Friday night.  I've been a huge Paul Simon fan for years, all his different music, harmony, rhythm, sing along from my high school years and beyond.

I've been to an embarrassing small number of concerts.  How many?  Not very many.

So when I happened to see that Paul Simon (he's 76 anyway) was doing a farewell tour with a stop in Seattle, I knew this was my chance.  I told Dennis we were going.  I bought tickets up in nosebleed, still were $75 apiece.  Getting up those steep stairs to the top of Key Arena, yikes, I don't think I would do it again.

Both Dennis and I really enjoyed it.  The place a packed and hugely appreciative.  Heavily boomer.  But he had terrific musicians playing with him.  One thing I like is that he changes his songs over time.  A new arrangement, some new words, change the tempo.  "Mrs Robinson" as reggae, why not?

The picture is from the Seattle Times (used without permission).  They gave it an excellent review.  His voice so strong and his performance so vibrant, the reviewer asked, why is this his last tour when he has it so together.  He did say that maybe he would still perform places, you never know.  He had a good long show and then performed seven more songs in encore.

Place was rocking and people dancing, really fun.

Check out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVRG5qA5mUw for most of Diamonds on the Sole of her Shoes/You can Call Me Al

No comments: