Saturday, May 19, 2018

The wedding knife returns


After being resident in my house for 5 years, the family wedding knife is now back with my cousin Mary Ann in Connecticut.  It was bought by my great great grandfather for use in my great grandmother Delia's wedding in the 1890s.  Maybe used before that, I don't know.  It's silver with a mother of pearl handle.  It's labeled 'Meriden Cutlery.'  Meriden is a town near Cheshire where my cousin lives near New Haven.  This wedding knife has been used to cut the cake in every wedding that we can think of.

I kind of liked having it here.  But Mary Ann's son is getting married this summer so it had to go back so Lyle could use it.  You can't carry it on a plane (if I was going which I'm not).  You have to ship it which makes me nervous.  So I shined it up and brought it to my local UPS store and told them to pack and ship it.  Whatever was professionally called for.  Plus I added the option that it had to be signed for rather than just left on the front porch.  Whole thing cost nearly $50 but you gotta do....

I've been checking the tracking number and it got there yesterday.  My cousin confirms which is reassuring.  So now it's back there safely.  Whew!



No comments: