Friday, December 15, 2017

Tables old and new



Tables old and new.  We are retiring the table in the top  picture.  Beautiful cherry table of my mother's.  About 50 years old; it was part of my mother's interior design project when moving into a new home in 1964.  It's real pretty but I had to keep the pads and a tablecloth on it because anything we did put marks on it.  The tall chairs had needlepoint seats that my mother made.  My sister says she will make pillows out of the needlepoint.  Dennis hated this table, said it didn't fit the room.  I've had it in there for seven years.

The new table is our old table.  A maple table which was there when Dennis' family moved into their old Berkeley house in the early sixties.  We used this table always with the kids.  It looked like hell but there was nothing that anybody could do to it.  I liked it.  Dennis liked it.  So some young people we know started a refinishing business so we engaged them to refinish the table plus some wood chairs that we had bought from Sears for pretty cheap over 30 years ago. 

It came out great, they were real happy with it.  It has a strong finish on it.  Hope we can just use it.  It looks real pretty and I'm happy to have our old table back.

Fate of our old table?  Unclear at this point.  Offered it to the refinishing people but no.



No comments: