Monday, May 30, 2016

Autobiography of a Yogi


I may be giving a presentation to my class on Wednesday.  Or not.  Each of the students will give a 5 minute presentation on their final paper topic and then get some feedback.  I only get to give my presentation if there's time.  Maybe or maybe not.  I will be disappointed if I don't get to give it.

My topic: Loyal Servant:  How my college roommate became a follower of Paramahansa Yogananda.

I've talked with her a bunch about this and collected her remarks.  I've collected some introductory pictures about us and visuals of the movie Awake and the book "Autobiography of a Yogi," the best known work.  I've read parts of it and started (all 540 pages) it many times.  But this week, to the detriment of my other work, I decided to read the whole darn thing.  And I have.

Quite interesting and even inspirational.  What struck me that he always operated from a position of relative affluence, the scientific subjects (I'm sure that struck the bio major) and his many references to Jesus and the New Testament.  He considered Jesus to be an advanced yogic master.

No comments: