Friday, September 25, 2015

Working in the food bank

Today, I spent two hours distributing at the food bank.  They needed a volunteer at the last minute and I filled in.  Tables were set up in a "L" shape and I had a spot working with six big boxes.  They said it was a slow day but we served 48 people in the two hours. My large boxes contained canned fruit, canned vegetables, diced tomatoes, vegetable oil and canned soups.  Another box had tuna and peanut butter.  Each person could select an item from each box and could have either tuna or peanut butter.  All the vegetable oil went.  I also helped with my neighbor's station; he had coconut milk, rice, canned chili,, buckwheat, pasta, potatoes and mung beans.  Down the way were some fruits and vegetables, unlimited apples, crackers some milk, yogurt, ground beef and fancy bread.  Sundries were also available (soap, toilet paper, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, lotion).

The mung beans went early; many of the clients were elderly Asian and they like the mung beans.

Made me count my blessings.  Some people said they had no place to prepare food...homeless.. So the staff really looked to find appropriate items. Also some very small can openers.

Glad I could do it.  The picture is not from the food bank I worked in, but a picture from five years ago of the Mount Si food bank from SnoValley Star.  I chose it because it looked most like I saw today.

No comments: